Topic 79: जहाँ वे हैं वहाँ शान्ति है It is peaceful where they are

Context: Tara is worried about her trip to India and talks to Rita about it. [click image for audio]

Tara worrying about going to India

बातचीत

तारा - मुझे भारत जाने के बारे में चिंता है।

रीता - फ़िकर मत करो, सब ठीक होगा, जब मैं पिछले साल गई तो सब ठीक था।

तारा - लेकिन मैंने अख़बार में पढ़ा कि जहाँ हम जाएँगी वहाँ इस समय चोरी बहुत है।

रीता - नहीं, नहीं, बहन, जहाँ हम जाएँगी वहाँ शान्ति है, सिर्फ़ एक समस्या है।

तारा - चोरी नहीं होती है तो वह क्या है? औरतों के साथ छेड़छाड़? असुरक्षा? दंगे-फ़साद?

रीता - अरे, हम तो रिश्तेदारों और दोस्तों के साथ होंगे। इसलिए मुझे उम्मीद है कि हम चोर वग़ैरह से बच सकेंगे, लेकिन जुलाई की गरमी से हम नहीं बच सकेंगे!

Conversation

Tara - I am worried about going to India.

Rita - Don’t worry it will all be fine, when I went last year then it was all okay.

Tara - But I read in the newspaper that where we are going there is a lot of theft at this time.

Rita - No, no sister, where we are going it is peaceful there, there is only one problem.

Tara - If there is no theft then what is it? ‘Eve teasing’? Insecurity? Riots?

Rita - Oh, we will be with relatives and friends. So I hope that we can avoid thieves etc., but we will not be able to avoid the July heat!

Notes: जहाँ वहाँ...Where... there constructions

You can express the idea of where... there... by using जहाँ where and वहाँ there to introduce two clauses.

These kinds of sentences are called relative-correlative sentences in grammar books and normally establish the subject of the sentence in the first clause and add further information in the second clause. Note that the correlative is often omitted in English in such sentences and that the order of the clauses can be inverted in Hindi for emphasis.

English sentences like ‘My house is where the bears and leopards live in the forest.’ when translated into Hindi will need to become a sentence with two clauses.

Vocabulary

शान्ति nf. peace

चिंता nf. worry, concern, anxiety (Sanskrit)

पिछला adj. previous

चोरी nf. robbery

चोर nm. robber, thief

वग़ैरह adv. etc. (formal Sanskritic Hindi आदि)

समस्या nf. problem

छेड़छाड़ nm. ‘teasing’ as in ‘eve-teasing’ (harrassment)

असुरक्षा nf. insecurity

दंगे-फ़साद nm. riots and civil unrest

बचना vi. to be saved, ~ से बचना to be saved from ~

पहाड़ nm. hill

धुआँ nm. smoke

आग nf. fire

भालू nm. bear

बघेरा nm. leopard

शोर nm. noise

शोरगुल adj. noisy, (note शोरगुलवाली जगहें 'noisy places' see next semester for the use of -वाला)