Topic 71: आया हूँ, आया, आया था, have come, came, had come

Context: Salim gets home and tells his room mate Ali about his day.
Salim talking to Ali

बातचीत

अलि - सलीम, आज तुमको काम पर जाना था है न ?  तुम्हारा दिन कैसा था?

सलीम - ठीक था। मौसम सुहाना था तो मैं साइकिल से शहर गया। पहले मैंने दुकान पर काम किया और उसके बाद फिर मैंने कालेज के पुस्तकालय में पढ़ाई की और अभी अभी मैं रेस्तराँ में दोस्तों से मिलने आया हूँ। तुम्हारा दिन कैसा बीता?

अलि - बहुत अच्छा था, सुबह को विवेक का फ़ोन आया था और उसने बताया कि उसकी टीम ने जूनियर हॉकी रीजनल कप जीता है।

सलीम - शाबाश! वाह! क्या बात है! क्या अब उनकी टीम एशिया कप में खेलेगी?

अलि - हाँ, उनकी टीम एशिया कप में खेलेगी और इस साल वह मेलबोर्न में होगा! 

Conversation

Ali - Salim, you had to go to work didn't you? How was your day?

Salim - It was okay. The weather was pleasant so I went to the city by cycle. First I worked at the shop and then after that I studies in the college library and just now I have come from meeting my friends in a restaurant. How was your day?

Ali - It was very good, in the morning Vivek rang and he said that his team won the junior hockey regional cup.

Salim - Fantastic! Wow! Amazing! Will his team now play in the Asia cup?

Ali - Yes his team will play now in the Asia cup and this year it will be in Melbourne!

Notes: Present perfective, perfective and past perfective

Adding present tense or past tense forms of होना after the perfective participle creates the present perfective and past perfective tenses.

The main use of these tenses together is to relate events to each other. Generally speaking on many occasions when in English we would say ‘I have [verb]’ in Hindi you would just use the perfective. A typical conversation on a train might start with somebody trying to find out where you come from, not where you came from today. To which a reply might be: Note that Hindi has no direct equivalent to the use of ‘do’ in English questions.

Vocabulary

बीतना vi. for time to pass

शाबाश int. wow! fantastic!

वाह int. wow! fantastic!

परसों adv. the day before yesterday or after tomorrow

सवारी nm. passenger