Topic 64: तुमको मालूम है? Do you know? (ways of knowing 1)

Context: Salim and Mark talk about where they will be tomorrow. [click on image to hear dialogue]

Salim talking

बातचीत

सलीम - मार्क क्या तुमको मालूम है कि तुम कितने बजे कालेज में होगे?

मार्क - मुझे मालूम है कि मैं दस बजे तक कालेज पहुँचूँगा।

सलीम - क्या उस वक्त तारा भी वहाँ होंगी?

मार्क - पता नहीं, एक मिनट मैं उससे फ़ोन करके पूछूँगा, तारा, कल तुम दस बजे कहाँ होगी?

तारा - मुझे मालूम नहीं, शायद मैं घर पर हूँगी, क्यों?

मार्क - सलीम सोच रहे हैं कि शायद हम फिर से उस समय कालेज में मिलेंगे।

Conversation

Salim - Mark, do you know what time you will be in college?

Mark - I know I will arrive in college at ten o'clock.

Salim - Will Tara also be there at that time?

Mark - I don't know, one minute, I will call her and ask. Tara, where will you be at ten tomorrow?

Tara - I don't know, perhaps I will be at home, why?

Mark - Salim is thinking that perhaps we will meet again at that time in college.

Notes: मालूम होना, पता होना

If you want to say you know a piece of information in Hindi you can say so in a construction which contains two clauses and literally means ‘to me it is known that [the information you know]’. The Hindi word that joins such clauses together is the conjunction कि which means ‘that’. Note that in English we often leave out ‘that’ in questions, but in Hindi it is included. For instance:

Another common, informal way to say you know something is to say मुझको पता है कि…. The Persian origined word पता  in Hindi means both address and information, so literally this is ‘to me that information is know that…’.

It is important to note that these two constructions relate to either/or situations in which you can say, yes you know some information, or no you don’t, in the next section we look at constructions which allow you to talk about knowing in the senses of knowing people and knowing skills.

Vocabulary

सोचना vt. to think, consider

कि conj. ‘that’ in sentences like ‘I know that X is Y’

मिस्र nm. Egypt

राजधानी nf. capital

काहिरा nm. Cairo

पर्वत nm. mountain

ऊँचा adj. tall