Topic 58: खाना खाकर सो जाओ Go to sleep after you eat! (absolutive)

Context: They discuss whether to go to a see a film after they finish eating.

man talking

बातचीत

सलीम - अच्छा, तो खाना ख़त्म करके हम क्या करेंगे?

तारा - क्यों न फ़िल्म देखने चलें।

सलीम - हाँ, फ़िल्म लिस्टिंग देखकर मैं सोचता हूँ कि शायद ‘बॉबी जासूस’ अच्छी होगी।

मार्क - माफ़ कीजिए, मैं नहीं आऊँगा, मैं दवाई ख़रीदकर घर वापस जाऊँगा।

सलीम - अफ़सोस की बात है कि मैं भी आज आप लोगों से मिलकर घर जाना चाहता हूँ।

तारा - कोई दिक़्क़त नहीं, शायद बेहत्तर हो कि सिनेमा न जाकर मैं घर जाकर डीवीडी देखूँगी।

Conversation

Salim - Okay, so after finishing food what should we do?

Tara - Why not go to see a film?

Salim - Yes, after seeing the film listing I think that probably 'Bobby Detective' will be good.

Mark - I am sorry, I will not come, I will go home after buying medicine.

Salim - It's a pity but I also want to go home after having met you folks today.

Tara - No problem, probably it will be better if instead of seeing a film I go home and watch a DVD.

Notes: कर/के The absolutive

In Hindi to say things like The dogs bark and run away कर or के is put after the stem of the first verb in the Hindi sentence.

You can often think of it as meaning ‘having done’ the action of the first verb. It has two forms कर and के and in standard Hindi the rule is to use कर after all verbs apart from करना itself, after which you use के. However, some Hindi speakers use के after any stem ending in र, and some simply use के all the time in spoken Hindi, and sometimes people just use the stem of the verb. As a learner it is better to avoid non standard Hindi usages.

The use of न + absolutive gives the sense of ‘instead of’:

Note in this context the negation ‘’ is said ना but written as

The construction (x) से होकर or (x) होकर means via.

You can also use the absolutive to create adverbs. For instance: हँसकर laughing/smiling (from हँसना to laugh or to smile).

Note that one use of कि ‘that’ in Hindi is to introduce reported speech in a Hindi sentence but in English we leave out ‘that’ in similar statements.

Vocabulary

ख़त्म adj. ended, finished; ख़त्म करना  to finish
दिक़्क़त nf. difficulty, problem
बहत्तर adj. better
हँसना vi. to laugh, to smile