Topic 42: आपकी उम्र क्या है? How old are you? (talking about age)

Context: Salim and Tara are talking about their families.

बातचीत

सलीम - तारा, तुम्हारे कितने भाई-बहन हैं?

तारा - मेरा एक भाई है । उसकी उम्र सत्रह साल है । मेरी एक छोटी बहन भी है । उसकी उम्र तेरह साल है । तुम्हारे घर में कौन-कौन है?

सलीम - मेरे घर में चार लोग हैं । मेरे माता-पिता हैं, मैं हूँ और मेरे एक बड़े भाई हैं । मेरे बड़े भाई की उम्र बत्तीस साल है । और हाँ, मेरे घर में मेरा दोस्त विवेक भी रहता है । उसकी उम्र बाईस साल है ।

तारा - सलीम बताओ, विवेक के परिवार में कितने लोग हैं?

सलीम - उसके परिवार में सात लोग हैं । उसके दादा-दादी, माता-पिता, एक बड़ी बहन और एक छोटी बहन है । उसका घर बनारस में है ।

Conversation

Salim - Tara, how many brothers and sisters do you have?

Tara - I have one brother. He is seventeen years old. I have one sister as well. She is thirteen years old. Who is there in your home?

Salim - There are four people in my home. My parents, myself and my elder brother. My elder brother is thirty-two. And yes, my friend Vivek also lives in my home. He is twenty-two years old.

Tara - Salim, tell, how many people are there in Vivek's family?

Salim - There are seven people in his family. His paternal grandparents, his parents and an elder and younger sister. His home is in Banaras.

Notes: Talking about age

There are two common ways to talk about age in Hindi. One way uses the word उम्र  age. This means lifespan in the sense of how long somebody has been alive, so it is only applicable to people and animals. This is the most common way to ask how old somebody is:

In reply you have to say literally ‘I am of so many years’, and the ‘of’ का/ की  agrees with the gender of the person speaking.
For instance:

If by chance two people of the same age were speaking they might also say.

Old, in the sense of the age of an object, is expressed by using the adjective पुराना  old. For instance:

Old, in the sense of a long lasting relationship, is also expressed using पुराना  old. Note that talking about a friend this way would refer to them being a long term friend, not an old person, but old, in the sense of aged, is expressed using the adjective बूढ़ा aged.

NB. take care with बुरा  adj. bad, vs. बूढ़ा  adj. aged.

Vocabulary

उम्र

nf.

age, lifespan

भाई-बहन

nm.

siblings

दादा-दादी

nm.

grandparents (paternal)

पुराना

adj.

old, long lasting

बूढ़ा

adj.

aged, senior, old

बुरा

adj.

bad

दोस्त

nm./nf.

friend (this used to be only for male friends of men, and did not include female friends of men or women, but its use is mostly now like English friend. However, note that a female friend of a woman is referred to as a सहेली )

महँगा

adj.

expensive

सस्ता

adj.

cheap