Bankipur to Gaya
The line passes through a low country for the most part cultivated in rice, but in April dry and unprepossessing. Towards the close of the journey there are low hills, in which are bears and panthers.
Gayá is a city of 66,843 inhabitants. At 1 m. from the station is the T. B., and a short way to the W. of it the Collector's office. At 3 m. to the E. from the station is the Cemetery, which is close to the bank of the Phálgu river, dry in April. The cemetery is shaded with fine trees of the pippal, bel, and mango species. The person in charge of the cemetery has 4 rs. a month, a hut, and the fruit. The tombs and tablets suffered much during the Mutiny, as the malcontents and rebels smashed them by firing shot at them. Among those that remain may be noticed one to 11 seamen of No. 1 Company No. 5 Light Naval Brigade, " who died of disease while serving at Gayá during that year of Borrow, 1857-58." Observe, also, a noble mausoleum, 40ft. high, of which the base measures 20ft, 3 in., and is surmounted by a tower with 6 pillars
and a dome. It has a white marble tablet with the inscription—
Sacred to the Memory of
FRANCIS GILLANDERS, ESQ.,
Many years Collector
Of Taxes on Pilgrims
At Gayá, where he
Departed this life on
The 27th of August, 1821,
Aged 60 years.
This is followed by a long eulogy on the deceased. There are, also, handsome monuments to Caroline, wife of G. J. Morris, Judge of Gayá, and to Duncan Crauford McLeod, Esq., B.C.S., Magistrate of Gayá. About 100 yds. N. of the cemetery is a very handsome temple, sacred to Mahádeo, Ram, Lakshman, Ganesh, and Hanumán, built by Rání Indrajít, of Tíkárí, at a very considerable cost. She also endowed it with the village of Pa-rima, which yields 1,200 rs. a year. Thence the traveller will drive 1 1/2 m. to the temple of Bishn Pad, in Old Gayá. It is difficult to approach the temple except on foot, owing to the extreme narrowness of the streets, and an outer door only 5 ft. high. Just beyond this door, on the right, is a very plain temple, built by Ahalya Báí, the celebrated Queen of Indúr. The Bishn Pad Temple has a vestibule 50 ft. sq., built of hard stone. Beyond this is the Footstep of Vishnu, or the Bishn Pad, which is 13 in. long and 6 in. broad, is of silver, and in a vessel of silver inserted into the pavement, which has a diameter of 4 ft. Here flowers and other offerings are made. The temple is not in itself handsome or remarkable, but is considered very holy, and is crowded with devotees,
Buddha Gayá.—The distance of this place from Gayá is 7 m. For the first 5 m. the road is good, but unshaded by trees. The traveller will pass, on his right, the prison of Gayá, After 5m. he will turn tothe left, and go for 2 m. along a country road, where the many ruts and inequalities oblige carriage-horses to walk. The temple of Buddha Gayá is built in a hollow, which diminishes its apparent height. It is also shut in by small houses. The Kalas at top has been